WHAT IS INFINITUM?
Infinitum is a 13 minute musical composition by Pieter Schlosser. Pieter has donated Infinitum for use in the non-profit production of the film “In Saturn’s Rings“. We are seeking a number of performances by musicians of all styles to layer, solo and mix together for a unique musical creation for the film. You can be as creative as you want – create a harmony or even a new melody. Use different chords for harmony or dissonance. As long as you match the overall tempo and energy of the original – just be creative. We want unique interpretations.
WHY SHOULD I SUBMIT A PERFORMANCE?
“In Saturn’s Rings” is all-volunteer collaborative non-profit film that already has signed distribution for IMAX®, Giant Screen and Full-dome planetarium theaters around the world. The opening section of the film (with Infinitum as the score) will be a singular experience created entirely out of 6 million real photographs of galaxies, stars and other heavenly bodies. This is your chance to have your music heard on the largest screens and finest multi-channel surround sound systems in the world.
I’M A COMPOSER NOT A PERFORMER – WHY SHOULD PARTICIPATE?
Even though Infinitum is already composed, it’s just the foundation. You can compose an entirely new melody and chord structure if you like. There are sections of the piece that are already atonal and we very much want dissonance and chaos. And places in the piece that harmony and unison will work better. But we don’t only want people playing note for note what is in the score – we want many more layers that have new interpretations. Composing skills will help you stand out in the submissions.
IS THERE FOOTAGE TO SEE FOR INSPIRATION?
For a number of reasons, the biggest being is that visuals are still rendering, there is no actual film footage available. If you would like a description or some mockups of what will be onscreen, contact us. But note a non-disclosure agreement will be required to view them. But do watch the trailer on the home page as well as other clips here.
HOW WILL MY PERFORMANCE BE USED?
In the film, every performance that meets that minimum requirements will be used for “The Big Bang/Chaos” section (about 45 seconds) . Our goal is to have as many performances as possible. Beyond that, we will layer, solo and mix performances based on how we they resonate with us and the film. So your performance could just be used layered with everyone else’s – or parts of it could be featured in solo from several seconds to a few minutes. Think of this a chorus of performances.
The top 3 performance voted here will be officially included on the film’s soundtrack. Additionally, we will feature every performance submitted that meets the minimum requirements on this site and on the film’s official social media outlets.
WHAT ARE THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR A PERFORMANCE?
- You must submit a performance that matches the tempo and duration of the composition exactly. Click-track, score and midi provided here. Creativity is encouraged but if we cannot mix/match/sync your performance with everyone else’s, it cannot be used.
- Your performance must be a professional, clean recording without noise or artifacts that are audible on high quality professional audio systems. We suggest a minimum of 48Khz, 24-bit audio.
- You must agree that Pieter’s composition is provide under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International license – read more here and below in this FAQ.
- You must agree that your have all rights to your performance and can give permission for it to be used in the film in perpetuity. You will need to have a signed release from all performers in your submission for it to be used in the film.
HOW CAN I SHARE MY PERFORMANCE?
- You can freely share online your performance with the public as long as correct credit and attribution is given to the composer and the film. If you are sharing and getting ad revenue e.g. revenue from a YouTube channel, you must work out terms with the composer here.
- If you want to share the performance as downloadable media file or any physical media that are given away for free, correct credit and attribution must be given to the composer and the film.
- If you are selling digital or physical media of your performance, you must work out terms with the composer here.
WHO OWNS MY PERFORMANCE?
You own your musical performance. Pieter Schlosser owns the composition and publishing rights to the composition. By submitting the your performance here, you are granting the film in perpetuity license to only use it in the film, on the soundtrack CD (if you are voted in the top 3) and on film’s website and social media.
WHAT ABOUT MONEY?
The production of the film is a collaborative all-volunteer non-profit effort. Click here to see the film’s official non-profit page. No one has been paid to create any visual, sound or music content, so you are donating your performance to the film as everyone has donated their creative work to it.
The distribution of the film, however is via for-profit companies (distributors, theaters etc.). A small portion of those monies comes back to the director/filmmaker Stephen van Vuuren. Those funds will be shared by all who’ve worked or donated their creative work to the film.
In addition, CD and digital MP3 sales of the soundtrack will be split among all musical composers and performers using industry standard splits.
Your percentage of any profits will depend on how many performances we use and how much we use of yours. Unless the soundtrack to the film sells millions of CDs, this will likely amount to a few pennies a year.
Contact use here.